Today was the day when I had to say goodbye to our little meadow. Measuring about 10 feet by 6 feet it made for an interesting study. In all I counted 13 different wild flowering plants, although some of them didn't flower probably because I started it off late in the year. There were also at least 3 varieties of grass. I saw plenty of insects, mostly of the flying variety. I didn't see creepy ones probably because it was hard to see in through the jumble of plants once they had really had a chance to grow. Today, however I did see a shiny black beetle scuttle away as I mowed down its home.....:(
Here is the mower, ready and waiting. The reason you have to mow the meadow is actually to ensure that it grows back healthily the following year. I think that the plants smother themselves in some way if left to their own devices. When I have a bigger area to experiment with I will test this out.
Before I cut them down I checked for unrecorded plants and found four more. I still don't know what these are called. Having looked up a couple of books trying to identify some of the other plants I've ended up confusing myself. There are lots of plants that look very similar and it can be hard to tell if you have an exact match or not.
Here is another one. This fella was huge....about 15 inches across. It never flowered either.
This guy looks like some kind of mint but I can't be sure. I could only find one example of this guy in the meadow so I hope he made some seeds on the quiet, while I wasn't looking.
I think this is some kind of buttercup, or something similar to a buttercup. I seem to be very confused about buttercups as there are a few plants that seem to have the exact same flower but quite different leaves...I think...or am I imagining it?
Here is another flower that I recorded in an earlier post that is doing its job of ensuring its survival. There are probably thousands of seeds all over the ground now...yay!
This is the meadow after it was mown. It was easy enough to do and the mower coped fine with it although I had to keep emptying the grass collector really frequently. It is a bit browner than the rest of the lawn but it will sort itself out over the next couple of weeks. There was some grass that was lying down and so the mower missed it but I'll probably get in on the next go around.
Here you can see it a bit closer. I reckon that this meadow made a nice home for a lot of insects over its four month existence. I'll definitely be doing it again next year but I will start off earlier and see if even more varieties of flowers turn up.